Summer Discounts & Free Activities for Kids
School has ended and kids are getting stir-crazy, but you can take advantage of programs for kids and score great discount offers to get kids out of the house! Find details and age requirements for a variety of programs including free swimming lessons, free coding camp, and things that will keep kids active and energized.
Many of these are summer-specific programs, but a select few of are available year round!
Take advantage of opportunities to continue learning over the summer with these free classes for kids!
- FREE for Kids (ages 8 – 12) at Apple Camp in Apple Stores
- Kids attending Apple Camp in Summer 2019 can choose to explore music, coding, moviemaking, or art & design
- Three 90-minute sessions
- NOTE: All campers must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the duration of Apple Camp
- 2019 registration begins June 17
- FREE for Kids from ages 6 and up (ages vary depending on class chosen)
- Choose from exciting classes like Harry Potter creative coding, Fornite tournaments, talking robots
- Find classes at a store near you online
Free Music Lessons
- Get free beginner Guitar lessons at Music & Arts during open house weekend (June 21 – 23)
- You can even borrow a guitar for these lessons if you don’t already own one!
- Reserve your free lesson online
- Plus Get a FREE GUITAR if you choose to sign up for additional lessons!
- Choose either a Fender electric guitar or a Laurel Canyon full size acoustic guitar, ¾ guitar, or ukulele
- If piano is more your style, sign up for lessons and get $150 off select Casio digital pianos
Free education in local communities including swimming, yoga, & language
Although there will be far too many to list them all, a quick online search can uncover many more free classes in your local area.
- FREE swim classes for all ages in local areas:
- FREE lifestyle and interest classes at local libraries
Entertainment & Activities
Encourage your kids to take a break from playing Fortnite and video games with these programs that can get them out of the house!
Adventure & Sport Classes
- REI stores offer a wide variety of classes for all age levels (advance online registration is required)
- Multiple price points for both non-members and REI members ($20 for a lifetime membership – usually means discounted class rates!)
- Search for FREE classes at REI in your area including riding a bike, climbing, yoga, running with your dog, + more!
- LL Bean: outdoor discovery programs include archery, paddle boarding, canoeing, biking, bird watching, + more!
- wide variety of free classes
- advanced classes require registration fee
- Orvis: fly fishing classes available at select locations
- Fly Fishing 101 class is free!
- Fly Fishing 201 class may have a nominal fee
- A free Trout Unlimited Membership ($35 value) is included for all FF101 and FF201 graduates!
- Kids in grades 1-6 can earn a free book at Barnes & Noble this summer by:
DIY FREE Workshops for Kids (and adults too)
- Home Depot offers lots of FREE workshops for kids (that adults can join too)
- Use their website to choose a location and browse free upcoming workshops
- Monthly in-store workshops for kids include building a Tow Truck (July 2019) and a Rocket Pencil Box (August 2019)
- Registered kids (ages 15 and under) receive 2 FREE games of bowling each day – all Summer long (ends September 1)
- Hundreds of participating locations all across the country – choose your favorite location to sign up
- NOTE that bowling shoes are required to bowl (you may bring your own bowling shoes, and some bowling centers even complimentary shoe rentals, but this varies by location)
- Use parent email address to sign up for an account, then add eligible children to the parent’s account
- Adults can also get in on the fun and purchase a summer-long pass (for up to 4 adults) for a one-time fee (approx $45 for everyone, price varies by location)
- Registered kids (age limits vary by location) receive free roller skaing all Summer long
- Valid dates and times vary by location – search for your closest location online to see the details
- NOTE that roller skates are required (but you may bring your own skates to the skate rink)
- NOTE this program has a one-time admin fee per family of $4 for the summer
- Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express (locations nationwide!)
- See kid-friendly feature movies at 10am on Tuesdays and Wednesdays all Summer long for only $1 (valid for kids and adults!)
- Featured films include Lego Batman Movie, Paddington 2, Smallfoot, Secret Life of Pets, and more!
- Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse (locations nationwide!)
- See kid-friendly feature movies at 10am on select weekdays through August 8th for only $1 (or see all 10 movies for $5 with a season pass)
- Featured films include Kung Fu Panda, Smallfoot, Sherlock Gnomes, and more!
- Marcus Theaters / Movie Tavern Kids Dream Family Film Series (select locations nationwide)
- See kid-friendly feature movies at 10am on Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays through August 14th for only $3
- Featured films include Wonder Park, Despicable Me, and more!
- Kids Club events at JC Penney
- Monthly events on the 2nd Saturday of the month 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Kids get a craft, ID badge, lanyard, collector’s pins + more
- Parents get a 10% off coupon to use on the day of the event
- Free Crafts for Kids at Lakeshore Stores
- Saturdays from 11am – 3pm
- Ages 3+ / no reservations required
- Select locations also have crafts available on Sundays from 11am – 3pm
- Camp Creativity (ages 3+) at Michael’s Stores
- Weekly crafting classes held Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10am – 12pm at Michael’s stores
- $3 includes the 30 minute session and supplies
- New crafts each day / new themes each week include making slime, tie-dye picture frames, friendship bracelets, lego pyramids & more
- Sign up online
- FREE ADMISSION via Target to a wide variety of museums and activities across the country near major cities. Select a city for details including but not limited to:
- FREE Annual National Parks Pass valid for the duration of the 4th grade school year (September-August)
- Available for: U.S. 4th graders (including home-schooled and free-choice learners 10 years of age) with a valid Every Kid in a Park paper pass
- Also available to 4th grade educators:
- Teachers at a U.S. or U.S. military school
- Adults who engage fourth graders through a youth-serving organization (camp directors, home-school leaders, after-school leaders, religious group leaders, etc)
- Paper passes can be obtained by visiting the Every Kid in a Park website and can be exchanged for the Annual 4th Grade Pass at federal recreation sites that charge Entrance or Standard Amenity fees (Day Use Fee) (see PDF list of federal recreation sites that issue passes)
- Additionally, there are also 5 days in 2019 where admittance into National Parks is free for everyone!
In addition to these discounted and free activities for kids, check out our post to see where you can get free (or cheap) meals for kids!
What things are you doing with your kids this summer? Are there more activities and deals that should be added to the list?